Komada, LLC, is a certified small business, 100% tribally owned by the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians of California. Contracting with tribally-owned small businesses brings significant benefits to clients, including saving time and money during the acquisition process.
Advantages of Working with Komada
- Honest and transparent negotiations to meet client’s contracting needs
- Significant bonding capacity and financial stability
- Delivery success of a large company with responsiveness of a small business
Indian Incentive Program
The U.S. government provides a monetary incentive through its Indian Incentive Program (25 U.S.C. §1544) to eligible prime contractors for hiring Native American-owned companies, like Komada, as subconsultants. The program:
- Offers up to 5% of the amount paid to Komada returned to the prime contractor after work is completed
- Requires authorization in the contract
- Requires that the funds be expended
The Buy Indian Act
The U.S. government gives the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) the authority to set aside procurement contracts for Indian-owned and controlled businesses through The Buy Indian Act (25 U.S.C. §47). The Buy Indian Act regulations are included in the Department of the Interior Acquisition Regulations (DIAR) part 1480. The National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management and other bureaus in the Department of the Interior also may be authorized to set aside procurement contracts under this Act.
The Buy Indian regulations give preference, where authorized and applicable, to the hiring of Native American employees and purchasing of products, supplies and services from eligible Indian Economic Enterprises (IIE). Komada is an eligible Indian Economic Enterprise.